This post is sponsored by Nordstrom.
Although we all know baby girls have a little more fun with fashion because there’s just way more selection, it’s actually really fun to dress a baby boy; I’m speaking from having experienced both now! To be honest, not having bows or other girly accessories to put on a baby is actually freeing and makes getting my son dressed a little faster. I went all out with the headbands and bows with my daughter, so it’s nice to experience both and see the difference. Either way, it’s fun to dress babies, period!
I really enjoy dressing my son like a miniature man; something about matching daddy just makes me really happy. Some of my favorite outfits on my son are basically mini versions of what my husband would wear himself. And with all that hair, my baby boy really does look like a mini man.
I’m not a huge fan of cartoonish graphics or cutesy phrases (although I do make exceptions for them sometimes, especially when done tastefully), so I much prefer dressing my little boy in simpler styles that look like what my husband would wear. I’m a fan of classic styles like polo shirts, henleys and cardigans but like to mix in fun animal pieces (bunny ears, for example) and occasional modern baby styles and prints. He is a baby after all, and now is the time I get to have fun with his outfits!
My go-to place for finding cute baby boy outfits is Nordstrom. They have exactly what I’m looking for — simple yet stylish, comfortable and practical baby boy clothing. From their own baby line called Nordstrom Baby, which I’ve had good luck with for both my babies, to carrying delightful baby fashion brands such as Tucker + Tate, I can always find something for everyday as well as dressier occasions.
Some of my favorite baby boy fashion brands at Nordstrom include:
- Nordstrom Baby
- Tucker + Tate
- Ralph Lauren
- Angel Dear
- aden + anais
- Burt’s Bees Baby
- Monica + Andy
- Little Me
- Mini Boden
When I look at Nordstrom’s kid clothing selection both online and in store, I go through a few questions in my mind:
- Will the fabric be comfortable on my baby’s skin?
- Is it likely to withstand lots of wear and washing?
- How easy is it to do a diaper change?
- Will the colors match his overall color palette, so it’s easy to match with everything else he has?
- Does it go with my general aesthetic and make me happy?
In a way, I kind of do a capsule wardrobe for my kids every season, especially since they grow so fast as babies and need the next size up (or two) so often. I pick a color palette (navy, light blue, white, black, and grey for my son, for example) and stick to it so it’s easy to match everything in my son’s wardrobe. With limited space in our apartment, doing a capsule wardrobe for my kids makes it easier to manage clutter. I put away the stuff that doesn’t fit and have out only what he is wearing now.
For the first year or so, I tend to dress my babies in pajamas or play clothes — comfort is key. Also, one-pieces make life so much easier since they’re a one-stop outfit (kind of like dresses for mom), and snaps or zipper closures are phenomenal. 90% of my baby son’s wardrobe is pajama-style footies/rompers or t-shirt onesies with pants/shorts, depending on the season, and the other 10% is occasion-wear for weddings and special events. There’s really not much need for fancy outfits, except when you actually have somewhere fancy to go, so I tend to buy those on an as-needed basis.
If you’re expecting and just starting to build your baby’s wardrobe, I recommend buying what you need for the next 3-4 months (maybe 6 months max) and then doing a big wardrobe shop at the beginning of each season. Buy mostly pajamas and soft play clothes, which is likely what your baby will be living in 90% of the time. Gift expecting parents with baby clothes that they’ll actually get a lot of wear out of, and they’ll think of you often as the super thoughtful gift-giver.
Can you even handle the cuteness?! I seriously can’t.
I also did a blog post on my favorite baby girl fashion brands here if you have a little girl or need gift ideas.
Sponsored by Nordstrom. Thank you for supporting the brands I love that make this blog fun to write!